NAME : Pradhan Mantri Jandhan Yojana.
TYPE OF YOJANA : This yojana enables for the first time in India the poor citizens of our country to open a Bank Account with zero balance. A huge drive was conducted through out India by Bank staff to identify persons who did not have Bank Accounts and their Bank accounts were opened under this yojana.
MINISTRY : Department of Financial Services. Ministry of Finance
WEBSITE : https://pmjdy.gov.in/
PURPOSE : Main objective of “Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana (PMJDY)” is ensuring access to various financial services like availability of basic savings bank account, access to need based credit, remittances facility, insurance and pension to the excluded sections i.e. weaker sections & low income groups. This deep penetration at affordable cost is possible only with effective use of technology.
Another purpose behind this yojana is to enable the poor to received the amount of various schemes for which they are eligible directly in their Bank account through direct benefit transfer ( DBT) scheme thus eliminating middlemen.
SPECIAL BENEFITS : To make the yojana more popular some very special benefits are attached to this yojana. These are
- Interest on deposit
- Free accidental insurance cover of Rs. 1 lac
- No minimum balance required.( A/c can be opened with zero balance )
- The scheme provide life cover of Rs. 30,000/- payable on death of the beneficiary, subject to fulfillment of the eligibility condition.
- Easy Transfer of money across India
- Beneficiaries of Government Schemes will get Direct Benefit Transfer in these accounts.
- After satisfactory operation of the account for 6 months, an overdraft facility will be permitted
- Access to Suraksha Bima and Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana and Atal Pension Yojana, insurance products.
- Overdraft facility upto Rs.5000/- is available in only one account per household, preferably lady of the household.
LAUNCHING DETAILS : Hon’ble Prime Minister announced this Yojana in his First Independence Day speech from Red Fort on 15th August 2014.
HOW TO APPLY : An account can be opened by presenting any of the officially valid Document from the following list.
- The Voter’s Identity Card of Election Commission of India
- Job card issued by NREGA duly signed by an officer of the State Government
Aadhar Card or a letter issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India containing details of name, address and Aadhaar number
Identity card with applicant’s Photograph issued by Central/State Government Departments, Statutory/Regulatory Authorities, Public Sector Undertakings, Scheduled Commercial Banks, and Public Financial Institutions
- Letter issued by a Gazetted Officer with a duly with a duly attested photograph of the person.
- The passport
- The driving licence
- The Permanent Account Number (PAN) Card
BENEFICIARIES : Till date total 33 crore 30 Lac persons have opened Bank accounts in the JanDhan Yojana
Download : Jandhan Account Opening Form